Please read Matthew 21: 1-11and use these notes to prepare for Sunday morning worship.
Sermon Focus: CrossFit For the Soul: Celebrate
Key Verse: “Now this happened to fulfill what the prophet said, Say to Daughter Zion, ‘Look, your king is coming to you, humble and riding on a donkey, and on a colt the donkey’s offspring.’”(Matthew 21: 4 & 5)
- Why do you think it is important that ancient prophecy is being mentioned in this passage of the New Testament?
- What does it say to you that Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem is one rooted in humility?
Key Verse: “The crowds in front of him and behind him shouted, ‘Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessings on the one who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!’” (Matthew 21: 9)
- There was tremendous excitement within the crowds. What about your faith offers great excitement?
- The word hosanna translates to literally mean “save us” From what do you seek salvation?
- Do you find hope in Christ for such salvation?
Connection for Today:
Today’s American culture is heavily driven by a high value on celebrity. Major advertisement companies spend millions of dollars seeking the next big celebrity to endorse their client’s product. Jesus was the celebrity of his day. This is never more evident than in the Palm Sunday story. However Jesus does not use this moment to promote or inflate his status. Instead he models humility and kindness—a radical subversion to modern ideals of celebrity, and the crowd’s expectations. May we be so humble in how we offer Christ’s love.