Please read Romans 8:26-39 and use these notes to prepare for Sunday morning worship.
Sermon Focus: Resurrection Today: Connection
Key Verse: “Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words.” (Romans 8:26)
- How often do we find ourselves in the position that we feel too weak to even know the words to pray?
- What does it mean for you to have the Spirit interceding on your behalf when the sighs are too deep for words?
- Think about a time when your prayer was simply “God help me,” because the sigh was too deep and the words were not reachable. Now imagine that the Spirit has taken those sighs to the very heart of God.
Key Verse: “For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8:38 & 39)
- Has there ever been a time when you felt separate from God?
- There are times in our lives where that connection seems lost, and yet this Scripture is clear God’s love is always connected to us.
Connection for Today:
Today’s Scripture reminds us that when we feel weak and perhaps lost our connection to God that God is still present, still connected by the love expressed in Jesus Christ. In our weakness there is the Spirit that carries our needs to God, and in our times of feeling lost the love of God is our lifeline connection that we will never be separated from. What comfort and strength this can be during troubling and uncertain times.