Please read Romans 8: 1-11and use these notes to prepare for Sunday morning worship.
Sermon Focus: Resurrection Today: Liberation
Key Verse: “There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.” (Romans 8:1-2)
- The Scripture speaks of the law of the Spirit of life and the law of sin and death. What do you think is meant by each of these?
- How can you be set free from the law of sin and death in your daily life?
Key Verse: “If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will give life to your mortal bodies also through his Spirit that dwells in you.” (Romans 8: 11)
- The Spirit of the One who raised Jesus also dwells in us. How does this impact your life?
- What does it mean that our mortal bodies are given life through the Spirit that dwells in each of us?
- How do you find liberation in this passage?
Connection for Today:
The resurrection of Jesus isn’t about a one-time event a long time ago or a one-time future event we wait for. The resurrection of Jesus gives us freedom in this world. Freedom that lives a new through a redeemed life, a life liberated from all the earthly baggage which binds us to the cross. Resurrection helps us to focus on the freedom of life that Jesus embodies and invites us to embrace one another.